Friday, November 18, 2011

When Awkward Office gets Awkward Outside the Office

My very first day at the company, the CEO spoke about the company values and the open culture we would enjoy at Awkward Office. I was impressed. I was also intimidated. Later, at the hardware store, I saw CEO and that was the first of many awkward coworker run ins outside of the office. I should have known what the next many years of my employment would be!

A few days ago, I was buying copious amounts of vegetable stock at my local grocer when who do I run in to? Kevin. One of Nick's peers, another subordinate of BigBoss. Kevin is a tad nerdy, pale and lanky and kind of shy. He likes music and alternative sports. We greeted each other and rushed back to our normal non-office lives.

The next day, Kevin stopped by my cube and inquired about how close I did live to his grocery store. His? No. No. No. This is MY home grocery store! I live so close to it I can't leave home without passing it. He lives at least 10 blocks from the store. So, I propose a plan, because honestly, I can't wear sweats and buy Spaghetti-Os at the grocery store if I am likely to run in to someone I will see on a professional basis.

Me: Kevin - we should both find a new home grocery store. No one wants to run in to their coworkers when they're making a three case of beer grocery store run.

Kevin: Its OK, you didn't have your three cases of beer in your cart yet.

Me: Kevin, thats the point, you noticed what was or was not in my cart.

Kevin: thats true.

Me: Just a recommendation, the next closest grocery store is very close to BigBoss's house.

I really don't have any intention of pretending to not know Kevin or finding a different grocery store. I don't drink beer, so there is little risk involved in the whole "three case of beer run" unless I decide to make 72 beer can chickens or something else that is likely insane and mostly impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment